Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tears in the Field


Tears in the Field






My first call as a parish minister was to El Paso, Texas. Neither Meredith nor I had lived in the Southwest. Our first November there the two of us went on a camping loop that swung through Bosque del Apache (Apache Woods), a wildlife management area that offers winter habitat for many species, most notably waterfowl and Sandhill cranes. This stop was an obvious no-brainer for us both. I delight in watching other people discover birds and sharing with them the beauty of winged life. My spouse Meredith delights in watching me watch him watch birds.  


3Grus_canadensis_flying1





As we drove around the refuge I couldn’t believe the diversity and abundance of birds we were seeing. I was ecstatic and Meredith was being a good sport trying to understand how this place was a slice of heaven for me. On a dirt road next to a flooded field we came within 15 meters of a flock of croaking Sandhill Cranes. Not taking his eyes off the birds, Meredith also croaked: "What are those?"


"Well, those would be Sandhill Cranes." Silence followed until he whispered, "And those browner ones – are they a different species?" "No, those are their babies, on their first migration from the winter nesting areas."


800px-Grus_canadensis2



More silence. I turned to Meredith. Was he bored? Distracted? He stood transfixed. Tears streamed down his face. Joy had surprised him. He broke into a weeping laugh.


Since that day, he looks for birds on his own without me and always reports back what glory he was gifted to see. And every time I see a crane – the most ancient of all bird species – I remember their power to transform and grow us into happier and more aware beings.




I now live in North Florida and soon the cranes will arrive here, echoing across the skies throughout the winter their haunting quesitons:  When have you been surprised by joy? How has your life been changed by unexpected gifts that interconnect you to all of life?   


231310_sandhill_crane-closeup_1


Photo Credits:  















http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Grus_canadensis2.jpg


(flock)







http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:3Grus_canadensis_flying1.jpg


(Jerry Friedman at Bosque del Apache)



http://www.sxc.hu/photo/231310

(close up)






2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite birding spots in the world. And it used to be 3 hours from my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A touching story. My wife and I saw our first Sandhill Cranes on New year's Day this year and we both hugged each other with joy at seeing these lovely creatures.

    ReplyDelete