Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Magpies, Parrots, Flickers, and Fathers - All God's Children Grieve

466px-Magpie_arp
 



This past week an article appeared about magpies grieving
for their dead Mail OnLine I don't know if anyone can say what emotions
another species is experiencing, let alone another of our own species,
human.  By studying avian behavior,
however, it does seem to me that birds do experience emotion, and part of those
emotions may include sadness, confusion, and loneliness. When working as an
avian veterinarian, I've seen parrots whose mates have died going into
"mourning" by being quiet, still, and refusing to eat for a day or
longer.  I imagine that bird brains, like
our own, need to rewire after losing another individual that was so much a part
of a social, cultural, and neural network. 
This liminal time we humans know as grieving.



Once when a teenager 
I saw a Northern Flicker grieving. 
I was a teenager on an errand with my father driving when the car in
front of us struck a flicker.  The mate
that had been flying ahead, turned, and flew back to the ground to stand by his
companion.  My father stopped the car to
see if there was anything we could do.  There wasn't. 
Her beauty was now stilled.   We could not believe that the male  bird did not fly away as we approached, his
quiet stillness beyond words.  I could
never really guess what my father was thinking or feeling, he being  rather stoic and undemonstrative.  On this occasion he had tears trailing down
his face to see such sadness and loss, echoed in his own heart I do believe.



I never asked him what the dead bird meant to him, or the
loyalty of her mate.  I did not ask the surviving
flicker either.  Furthermore, science and
cognitive ethology may never answer what magpies or parrots experience.   But whatever other experience, I do believe
that emotions are the substance that makes up interspecies communion that sounds
along the ages as echoes of loss and joy in our hearts.

   400px-Northern_Flicker

 Norther Flicker



5 comments:

  1. Hey guys the Magpies, Parrots, Flickers are magnificent animals and gives sadness to see these animals die of different causes for the lack of a partner and others because they have them in captivity. etc. .. the truth is that we humans often think only of ourselves and not in the other species around us. thanks for the info really the topic I find very interesting. The blog is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made some decent points there. I looked on the internet tto learn more about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is perfect time to make a few plans for the long run and it is time to be happy. I've read this put up and if I may I desire to counsel you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I want to read more issues approximately it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the good writeup. It if truth be told was once a leisure account it. Look advanced to more introduced agreeable from you! By the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an amazing piece of writing in support of all the web visitors; they will get advantage from it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete